Child Care Health Consultant Program

What is a Child Care Health Consultant?

A Child Care Health Consultant (CCHC) is a health care professional, such as a registered nurse or physician assistant, who has special training, experience, and resources to help child care providers address health and safety needs specific to infants, children, and staff.

CCHCs Help in the Following Ways

  • CCHCs identify Idaho Child Care Rules and the National Health and Safety Performance Standards to provide guidance to child care programs. They are not involved with regulating child care facilities.
  • CCHC Program services include consultations with individual child care facility directors/owners, families, and the community to help create environments that best support the healthy growth and development of young children.
  • CCHCs partner with child care providers to educate staff regarding a variety of health issues, from correct techniques for diapering to consulting with child care providers caring for children with special needs.

There are several ways to get help from the CCHC Program

  • A health, city or food inspector may refer the child care facility director/owner.
  • A child care facility with a score below 3.0 in health and safety (PCR’s) on the Environment Rating Scale Assessment will be offered CCHC Program services.
  • A child care facility director/owner, or any child care provider, may self-refer for assistance.

To locate a Child Care Health Consultant in your area, call the 2-1-1 Idaho Care Line by dialing 2-1-1, or 1-800-926-2588, and request the Child Care Health Consultant Program .