Trainers are an essential part of the IdahoSTARS mission to improve the quality of child care in Idaho.
Trainers offer child care providers
- Training that providers can apply to their work with children and children’s families.
- Increased awareness of current topics in the Early Care and Education field.
- Practical tools and skills to use the next day in their work with the children and families they serve.
Trainers offer IdahoSTARS
- Current, professional, quality training for child care providers.
- Training which is developed based on their experience and education.
IdahoSTARS categorizes training into three levels:
Introductory level for early childhood educators/providers.
Trainer must have a least an Associate’s degree and experience in the training topic area.
Intermediate level for early childhood educators/providers.
Trainer must have at least a Bachelor’s degree and experience in the training topic area.
Advanced level for early childhood educators/providers.
Trainer must have at least a Master’s degree and experience in the training topic area.
Development of Trainings
When developing training a trainer should:
- Understand the adult learner. (Review The Adult Learner by Robin J. Fogarty and Brian M. Pete; this book is available for checkout from your local Child Care Resource Center (CCRC) office.)
- Include modifications of the training material that will be used to include all children and families: think about poverty, disabilities, family structure, etc.
- Include the three types of learning styles: auditory, kinesthetic, and visual.
- Use current, scholarly sources.
- Review and know the Ten Core Knowledge Components for Early Care and Education (PDF).
Review and know the Idaho Early Learning eGuidelines.
Note: Trainers need to mention the Idaho Early Learning eGuidelines during each training opportunity they conduct.
To complete the Training Approval Packet read and follow steps:
Step 1: Fill out and Attach
Fill out the Training Approval Packet (located at the right of this page).
Note: If you are new to filling out a Training Approval Packet use the Training Approval Packet: Step-by-Step Resource Guide.
Attach the following documents:
- Outline of the training
- Three key points of the training
- Brief description of the training content (description will be entered on the Training Calendar)
- Two techniques for auditory learners
- Two techniques for kinesthetic learners
- Two techniques for visual learners
- Cite scholarly resources used in APA or MLA format
- Explain modifications of the training material that will be used to include all children and families
List the Idaho Early Learning eGuideline Domains and Indicators which your training will include
- For intermediate training only - please attach reflective activity (assignment) that will be given
- For advanced training only - please attach action plan and trainer’s follow-up discussion/reflective activity
Step 2: Mail, Fax, or Email
Mail, fax, or email the packet and all required documents to:
IdahoSTARS Training Office
PO Box 444061
Moscow, Idaho 83844-4061
Step 3: IdahoSTARS Processing Time
Allow four to six weeks processing time for the Training Approval Packet.
Note: Make sure to consider the processing time when planning your training dates.
If you have questions, please contact:
IdahoSTARS Training Office
121 West Sweet Ave, STE 122
Moscow, ID 83844-4061
Phone: Call the 2-1-1 Idaho CareLine by dialing 2-1-1 or 1-800-926-2588
8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Monday – Friday and ask for the IdahoSTARS Training Office.
Print the following documents located at the bottom of the page:
- An attendance sheet (EXCEL)
- Same Day Evaluation (PDF) (make a copy for each attendee)
- Reflective Evaluation Information Sheet (PDF) (make a copy for each attendee)
- Evaluación Reflexiva (PDF), the reflective evaluation for trainings in Spanish (make a copy for each attendee)
- Each participant is registered on the IdahoSTARS Attendance Sheet.
Each participant receives:
- Reflective Evaluation Information Sheet
- Evaluación Reflexiva (the reflective evaluation for trainings in Spanish)
- Same Day Evaluation or or Evaluación del mismo día (Spanish same-day)
Note: For quality assurance, IdahoSTARS requires that all attendees receive information about completing the reflective evaluations after 2 weeks following the training.
Enter attendees into Trainer Database (within 5 days) to ensure that attendees receive the training hours and can complete their 2 week Reflective Evaluation. If training has homework, trainer enters completion of homework into Training Database as it is received.